Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Farmhouse Bathroom Renovation

And so the little bathroom renovation begins...
Here's the room stripped out and ready to be re-done.
I've never cared much for the bathroom. And this room is much too long and deep to be very useful.
So...I've split the room in two. The end with the window will be a hallway and the front two thirds will become a more manageable size for a bathroom.

 I started by making the bathroom floor. Of course I should have made the floor into the hallway all at once but I was in a hurry to see what the bathroom was going to look like...I might have mentioned before 'I like to see results fast!'

Then I made a very shabby old door from scratch!

I made some new walls with rusty tin wall panelling.

And I made a transom window to go above the door. 
The light shines through the pretty window and door glass but it's very hard to photograph!

I loved the way the bathroom looked but something just didn't seem quite right. I didn't know what it needed until I decided to change the floor...

That was what it needed!
Shabby painted floorboards.

 Oh, yes. I'm happy with it now!

The ceiling - with a little mildew...because everything's a bit run down in the farmhouse.

The bath was an unfinished wood one I bought years ago.


I finally got around to painting it.

I couldn't decide whether the bath should be copper or zinc so I went with copper on the outside and zinc on the inside.


There's plenty more to be done!

I've finally realised I need to finish renovating all the rooms before I fill them with the fun stuff - otherwise everything keeps falling over.

The hallway on the other side of the bathroom door is almost done. Soon to be revealed!


25 comments:

  1. I love this room! The walls, the door (which is simply lovely) the floor, everything. I can't wait to see the next additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta!! Esos colores son maravillosos, y la bañera te ha quedado genial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta!! Esos colores son maravillosos, y la bañera te ha quedado genial!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying your renovation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the door and the colour of the floor. It's going to be agreat bathroom, I'm looking forward to seeing more soon.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, so nice work! Thank you for sharing!
    Hugs Josefin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mercedes,
    I just love the look of your bathroom! The flooring is something so different yet it pulls the whole room together. The bath and curtain are so realistic, just lovely. The doorway leading into the hall is amazing. I love to do that to my rooms too. The hint or glimpse out into a hallway or another room just adds more life to the house. I can't wait to see more!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola, cuanto tiempo sin pasar por aquí, me costara un buen rato ponerme al dia ya estoy con la boca abierta de ver sus maravillosos trabajos y necesito verlos despacio, como nos crecen las niñas libertad esta hecha toda una mujer
    un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mercedes, this room is fantastic! I think making the bathroom smaller and adding the hall will make a big difference and, with a separate hall, there's even more to decorate! I particularly love the transom and door window, it looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that looks so cool , clever work , Mercedes !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of making a hallway behind the bathroom because it will add depth and extra interest when the bathroom door is ajar. The formal damask paper was such a pretty and unexpected choice for the walls and I also find the shape of the tin tile that you have used on the other two walls to be most interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing what else you do in this room. :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me gusta mucho como está quedando,los colores son preciosos,muy original el suelo,la puerta es fantástica y todo ofrece un conjunto perfecto!!!!
    La idea del pasillo es genial,estoy deseando verlo!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me encanta como te esta quedando...con ganas de ver mas.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am following your renovations with interest and intent because I am doing the same thing with a very large dollhouse. The bathroom is 17 inches deep, long as yours so I have been fretting over what to do. I could do a door instead of the window, too and have it open out onto a balcony that I would have to build. Won't happen because I am not that good. Anyway, I am enjoying your renovations and can't wait to see what you do. Drop by and see my project: annsdollhousdreams.blogspot.com if you get a moment. I especially love the door and like you, I tend to get in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Siempre sorprendiéndome con tu arte . Es perfecto .
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just looked at your blog for the first time and find it enchanting! Your work on the farmhouse is beautiful - I love the bathroom floor and that fabulous fireplace. I scrolled through some of your older posts and now find that it's hard to remember what comments I wanted to make - everything is all jumbled up in my mind. Oh well - now I'll just need to visit again and refresh my memory! A happy thought. Thank you for a pleasant tour.

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What an incredible transformation!!! I Love that tub!!! And the colors you are working with are so lovely and soothing... like the ocean on a foggy morning...! I can't wait to see what else you are going to add!!! Oh, and I think it is a great idea to improve the room by making it smaller and having the hallway behind it! So much more realistic and interesting! Your work is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love the colours... stunning work.
    Mez

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mercedes, I love it ! the floor is a stroke of genius! wonderful !!
    I spot a bit of Sylvia's style here, less tidy and a bit dirty ;o)
    Hugs to you all, Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful renovation! Painted floor is so beautiful! Great idea! The door is stunning. I like damask paper too...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow ... I love this room!!!It looks so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What can I say...love love love! Can't wait to see more...who knows you can inspire me to start on some minatures again? Miss you my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that door is amazing - so clever!! Loving the floor boards too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. all details are adorable, I love them!
    Hugs :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that floor, also the copper effect on the bath and the rusty tin plate wall panelling, I already want to go and stay in that old farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!